Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Blog Hop: Our Commercial Moment


Yay another awesome blog hop from L over at Viva Carlos!  For once I'm actually mostly caught up on blogs and got to this one in time to actually join.

L asked "So fellow bloggers, What are you buying next? Not your "Wish I could" list but your actual practical pony shopping list. And if its a high ticket item you are saving for what is it and when do you expect to order/get it?"

As you saw in yesterday's post (LINK) I just bought a leather halter and back up bridle which I've been wanting, but really had no plans to buy.  I couldn't pass up the opportunity though!

Here are the things actually on my list:

1. A new snap for Chrome's blue halter.  He accidentally broke it when it hung on the fence and I startled him.
2. With bug season upon us I need more fly spray and neem oil to battle flies and sweet itch.
3. Horse feed is on the need really soon list.  I'm almost out of Enrich 32.
4.  Hay is always on the list since I don't have a place to store it and buy it one round bale at a time.
5. As soon as my tax return gets here it's time for teeth and vaccines too!

The high ticket item I'm saving for, that is more a want than a need, is a new saddle pad.  I want one of those wool pads specifically for a treeless saddle that provides spine relief.  I haven't decided which one I want, but I do know they are pricey!

Well I think that's all.  That's all I can think of anyway lol.


3 comments:

  1. Do tell me about the neem oil!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did a post on the neem oil a while ago here http://rdxhorses.blogspot.com/2012/09/neem-oil-plus-super-speshul-white.html

    Also you can read more under the sweet itch label here http://rdxhorses.blogspot.com/search/label/Sweet%20Itch

    Neem oil effects insects hormonal systems by making them forget how to eat, breed, fly, etc. It doesn't kill them outright, but it messes up the life cycle if they touch it. I'm pretty sure it also repels them. The only thing is that it's only as effective as you are consistent with it. If you miss a day your horse will get bit by the gnats and develop sores. I was doing well with it and then went out of town for a couple of days and he was covered in bites. It needs to be done right before dusk when the gnats are at their worst... I think it would be even more effective if it was done before dawn too, but I don't get up that early and it is an oil so it could cause the horse to burn if it's on him all day in the bright sunshine during summer.

    You have to get the pure kind, not the kind they sell at Lowes. Then you put two dropperfuls (the whole dropper, not just a drop) in a spray bottle, add two tablespoons of vinegar or apple cider vinegar and fill the rest with water. The vinegar acts as an emulsifier for the neem oil. If you leave it sitting you have to shake it up again. I shake it the whole time I'm applying it to make sure the neem oil is well distributed. Also it has to be made fresh right before every single dose. The neem oil has to be kept in the house because if it gets too hot it goes rancid and if it gets too cold it solidifies. Basically it's a pain in the butt, but it does make him feel better. I haven't been successful in preventing his sweet itch though because I haven't been 100% consistent. I wish I had a screened in bug proof stall to put him in....

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate all comments, advice and questions! Your comments are what makes blogging so worth it. I love to hear from my followers, so thanks for taking the time to share your comments. :)